Amazing buttermilk corn bread made in a cast iron skillet. Use bacon grease to give it a crispy curst with a soft and moist inside.
Once you make this corn bread you will never use a box mix again! Takes only a few minutes to mix up and when cooked in a cast iron skillet the end product is corn bread that has a crisp outside, fluffy and dare I say moist inside. I have been making corn bread in my cast iron for years now and we have had multiple disappointing attempts. That was not the case with this recipe. It’s not overly sweet and the texture is just perfect.
Why Cast Iron For your Corn Bread:
Cast Iron Skillets are so versatile and can really be used for just about everything. Yes, even eggs! They do not contain any harsh chemicals that most non-stick cookware has, and they last multiple lifetimes. My cast iron collection will be passed to my grandkids. My favorite part about cast iron is you can find it just about anywhere. Yes you could buy new but its about the hunt for me. I love finding rare pieces at garage sales, estate sales, thrift stores and online. Most pieces you come across can be fixed and reasoned making it your own.
While you are mixing up your batter, coat your cast iron with either butter or bacon grease and put in the oven at 425 degrees to get it nice and hot. Carefully remove from the oven and pour in the batter. Return to the oven for 15-20 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
If you do not have a cast iron, no worries! You can still make this recipe in a 8’“x8” cake pan or muffin pan. Also, if you do not have a cast iron this is the perfect excuse to get your first one!
Serve warm with some honey and butter.
Main Courses to Make With Corn Bread:
Cast Iron Skillet Corn Bread
- 1 Tbsp Bacon Grease
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Corn Meal
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 6 Tbsp Melted Butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a 10" cast iron skillet coat with either a table spoon of bacon grease or a tablespoon from your melted butter. If you do not have a cast iron an 8×8 baking pan will work as well.
- Put pan in a preheated oven while you mix the batter
- In a large bowl mix together flour, corn meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix to combine.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the buttermilk, eggs, and honey.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix.
- Then add in the melted butter and mix with a spatula until everything is well incorporated.
- Carefully remove pan from the oven (it will be very hot) and pour in the batter. Gently shake the pan to get everything to settle evenly.
- Put pan back in oven and cook for 15-20 min until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut and serve warm topped with honey and a little butter.
Other Recipes you May Like:
- How to Grow Onions and Everything you Need to Know
- Sourdough Starter Breakfast Bites
- Dutch Oven Potatoes