This hot crab dip recipe is so irresistible. Chunks of fresh crab meat mixed in melted cream cheese, cheddar, and pepper jack with some fresh lemon and chives. Serve hot or cold with a variety of dippers.
Do you love crab? If you do, I'm sure you are just as obsessed with a fresh hot crab dip as I am!
This dip is really simple to make and is always a hit. Takes only a few minutes to mix together and bakes for about 20 minutes in the oven until hot and bubbly. It really is that simple.
Now that you have a great dip to serve at your next football game or party what do you serve with it?
Luckily, I have lot's of suggestions that we love to serve with ours. Get all my crab dip serving ideas.
Love crab? Check out my other crab recipes such as a crab risotto, crab bisque or crab deviled eggs.
Are you a dip fan? You may also enjoy this creamy baked clam dip or a smoked salmon spread.
This recipe calls for fresh crab meat, but a variety of options can also be used. Imitation and canned crab turn out great as well. Use what you have access to and enjoy!
If you are using fresh crab that you either caught yourself or purchased from a market or grocery store, learn how to cook, clean and process.
This recipe calls for 8oz of fresh crab but you can use up to a pound. The amount used depends on how much of that delicious crab you want in each bite.
This is a three cheese dip. The base is a cream cheese and then a combination of cheddar and pepper jack. The pepper jack adds a nice little kick to this dip.
If you prefer to use all cheddar that is perfectly fine as well.
Fresh Chives go really well with this crab dip. If you do not have chives, fresh green onions work just as well.
Fresh Lemon Juice:
This is a must. This dip can be really heavy with all the cheese, so adding a nice hint of fresh lemon juice really balances it out.
I use this handy lemon press to get the most juices out of the lemon.
Get all the ingredients and measurements in the recipe card.
This recipe is really easy to make and only takes a few minutes to mix together.
NOTE: It's important that your cream cheese is soft. Remove from the refrigerator about an hour before you want to make the dip.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a medium sized bowl, whip the cream cheese with a hand mixer.
The cream cheese must be smooth and creamy with no lumps.
Add in the mayo, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, sea salt, chives and spices.
Mix with the mixer until it's all combined.
Add in the cheeses.
Next, gently fold in the crab with a spatula. This will give you large chucks of crab.
If you use the hand mixer it will break it up into smaller pieces.
In a small baking dish, spread the dip in an even layer.
Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until it's hot and bubbly.
Serve warm with your favorite dippers.
Store any unused crab dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to reheat crab dip: Remove from the refrigerator and place dip in an oven safe dish. Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until its bubbly.
It can also be reheated on the stove in a sauce pot. Make sure to stir it often so the cheese doesn't burn on the bottom.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since dairy does not freeze well, it is best to not freeze this dip.
Yes! Just follow the instructions, leaving out the baking part, and cook right before serving.
Yes, it can be served cold. Just make sure the crab you are using is fully cooked.
Yes! Any kind of crab will work great in this dip.
Did you make it? If you loved this recipe or any others on Dirt & Dough, please leave a 5-🌟 in the recipe card below. Let me know how it went by leaving a comment below the recipe card. I love hearing from you!
*Let's Connect! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest or subscribe to receive emails!
Other Seafood Recipes
Get more seafood recipes...
Hot Crab Dip
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Softened
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ Lemon freshly squeezed Add more as needed.
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chives Chopped See Notes
- ½ Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese Grated
- ½ Cup Pepper Jack Cheese Grated
- 8 Oz Crab Meat See Notes Can use up to a pound of meat.
- Add in your favorite hot sauce
- NOTE: It's important that your cream cheese is soft. Remove from the refrigerator about an hour before you want to make the dip.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a small baking dish with a little bit of cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, whip the cream cheese with a hand mixer. It must be smooth and creamy with no lumps.
- Add in the mayo, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, sea salt, chives, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper.
- Mix with the mixer until it's all combined.
- Taste and add more lemon or sea salt as needed.
- Mix in the cheddar and pepper jack.
- Next, gently fold in the crab with a spatula. This will give you large chucks of crab.
- Place in the oven and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until it's hot and bubbly.
- Serve warm with a variety of dippers.
Leave a Reply