This shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes is both healthy and hearty. The rich heartiness of the ground beef mix, topped with a buttery, creamy, sweet potato mash, then baked until golden brown and bubbly. Easily make a double batch and freeze for later.
This dish is the perfect fall comfort food! It's full of sautéed veggies and topped with a creamy sweet potato mash that offers a healthier version of this classic dish.
Make dinner time a breeze by prepping this meal ahead of time and then popping in the oven right before serving.
It also makes a great meal prep and can easily be frozen for future dinners.
Sweet Potatoes: Using sweet potatoes instead of a russet or gold is a healthier option for this dish. If you prefer a classic recipe feel free to make a regular mashed potato.
Ground Beef: Ground beef can easily be swapped for ground turkey or chicken. Just use chicken broth instead of the beef broth.
Beef Broth: The beef broth can easily be switched out for vegetable stock. Just keep in mind that beef broth will give you a richer flavor.
See full information on ingredients and quantities in the recipe card.
🥘How to Make
Step 1: Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into 2" cubes. (Image 1).
Step 3: In a large pot over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add some salt and the sweet potatoes and cook until they are soft and tender. You will know they are done when a fork can easily pierce them. (Image 2).
💡Pro Tip: While the potatoes are boiling is a good time to start the ground beef mix.
Step 4: Once potatoes are done cooking, carefully dump into a strainer and transfer to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add in the softened butter, grated parmesan, salt and pepper. (Image 3).
Step 5: Using a hand or stand mixer, mix the potatoes until they are soft and creamy. (Image 4).
Step 6: In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and diced onion. Sauté until soft and translucent. About 5 minutes. (Image 5).
Step 7: Add in carrots and celery and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Or until they start to soften. (Image 6).
Step 8: Add in the ground beef and cook until completely browned. Once ground beef is cooked, add in the frozen peas and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. (Image 7).
Step 9: Add in beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. (Image 8).
Mix all together and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook until the liquid reduces down. About 5 min.
Step 10: In a baking dish, add the ground beef mix and spread evenly. (Image 9).
Step 11: Then add the sweet potato mash and completely cover the ground beef. Sprinkle on some paprika. (Image 10).
Step 12: Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly. (Image 11).
Step 13: Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Yes! This recipe freezes really well. Just skip the baking step and bake right before serving.
They are the same dish but traditional shepherds pie is made with ground lamb where a cottage pie is made with any other ground beef.
🐄Other Ground Beef Recipes
Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato Mash
- 2 Pounds Sweet Potatoes - Peeled and Diced in Cubes
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- ⅓ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Salt - more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
Beef and Veggie Mix
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion - Diced
- 2 Large Carrots - Peeled and Diced, about 1 cup
- 3-4 Stalks of Celery - Diced, about 1 cup
- 1.5 Pounds Ground Beef
- 3 Cloves Garlic - Minced or Pressed
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons Dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 6 ounces Tomato Paste
- Paprika - To Garnish
- Start off by peeling and dicing sweet potatoes into 2" cubes.
- Fill a Large stock pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add a couple tablespoons of salt to the water and mix until dissolved. Add in potatoes and boil until tender. A fork should be able to easy pierce the potatoes.
- Once cooked through, transfer to a large mixing bowl and with a hand mixer add in all the other ingredients and whip until lumps are gone. Set Aside.
Beef and Veggie Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While the potatoes are cooking prepare the meat and veggie mix in a large oven safe skillet.
- Over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet.
- Add in onion and sauté until soft. About 6-8 min.
- Add in carrots and celery then cook for 2-3 more minutes. Or until they start to soften.
- Add in beef and cook until completely browned.
- Carefully drain excess grease.
- Add in frozen peas and garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Mix all together and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook until the liquid reduces down. About 5 min.
- In a 9x13 baking dish (or other oven safe cookware) spread the ground beef mix evenly on the bottom.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on top of the meat and veggie mix, sprinkle with paprika and transfer to the oven for 20-25 min. or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.