Healthy and hearty sweet potato Shepherd's pie cooked and baked in a cast iron skillet. Beef sautéd with fresh veggies, topped with a creamy sweet potato mash. Bring it all together by finishing it up in the oven.
We are in the heart of fall here in Western Washington and that typically means rain, rain and yup more rain. While the weather keeps us mostly inside we still like to get out as much as we can. This means we need all the warming comfort food we can handle.
While I love a good soup, and they are typically the majority of our menu, a good skillet dish is our second go to.
This cast iron sweet potato Shepherd's pie is one to add to your list! It's full of veggies cooked with ground meat topped with a creamy sweet potato mash. I feel really good about serving my kids this dish especially with the substitution of a russet potato with sweet potatoes.
What if I Don't Have a Cast Iron Skillet?
No need to have a cast iron skillet. This dish will work with any stove to oven safe skillet. As long as it is oven safe and deep enough it will still work great!
If you are in the market for a good cast iron this 15" lodge is the most used pan in our house. It's size can take on just about any dish.
Another option would be to transfer the beef and veggie mix to a baking dish when done and bake it that way. Cooking in a skillet is just easier and less dishes to do later.
How to make Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Prepare Sweet Potatoes
Start out by dicing and boiling sweet potatoes in a large stock pot. Once they are tender and a fork can easily pierce it, drain and add to a large bowl.
Add in all other ingredients and mix with hand mixer until the lumps are gone and it's creamy and smooth. Set aside.
Prepare the Beef and Veggie Mix
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Saute Onions
While the sweet potatoes are boiling, warm a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and saute onions until soft
3. Add Carrots and Celery
Cook just until they start to soften.
4. Add in ground meat and cook until completely brown.
5. Add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant
6. Add peas, liquid and seasonings
Add in frozen peas, water, beef bouillon, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Mix all together and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook until the liquid reduces down. About 5 min.
7. Tomato Paste
Add in tomato paste and mix. Bring back to temp over medium heat. About another 5 min
8. Assemble and Bake
Spread the sweet potatoes on top of the meat and veggie mix, and sprinkle with paprika.
Transfer to oven for 20-25 min or until bubbly.
The cast iron I used in the recipe is a 15" Lodge. It is the most used cast iron pan in my house. Although it's very heavy it gets just about every job done.
Would love to hear if you made this Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie. Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @dirt.dough.
Other Dinner Ideas:
Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Sweet Potato Mash
- 2 lbs Sweet Potatoes Peeled and Diced in Cubes
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- ⅓ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Salt more to taste
- Pepper to taste
Beef and Veggie Mix
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Diced
- 2 Carrots Peeled and Diced
- 3 Stalks of Celery Diced
- 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced or Pressed
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon paste Could substitute bouillon paste and water for 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 1.5 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- Paprika To Garnish
- Start off by peeling and dicing sweet potatoes into 2" cubes
- Fill a Large stock pot with water and bring to a boil
- Add a couple tablespoons of salt to the water and mix until dissolved. Add in potatoes and boil until tender. A fork should be able to easy pierce the potatoes.
- Once cooked through transfer to a large mixing bowl and with a hand mixer add in all the other ingredients and whip until lumps are gone. Set Aside.
Beef and Veggie Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- While the potatoes are cooking prepare the meat and veggie mix in a large oven safe skillet.
- Over medium heat add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet.
- Add in onion and sauté until soft. About 6-8 min
- Add in carrots and celery and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Or until they start to soften.
- Add in beef and cook until completely browned.
- Add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant
- Add in frozen peas, water, beef bouillon, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Mix all together and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook until the liquid reduces down. About 5 min.
- Add in tomato paste and mix. Bring back to temp over medium heat. About another 5 min
- Spread the sweet potatoes on top of the meat and veggie mix, sprinkle with paprika and transfer to oven for 20-25 min or until bubbly.
- Serve Warm