This ground beef and vegetable soup is a hearty dish the whole family will love. Ground beef, fresh veggies, and potatoes simmered in beef and a tomato-based broth. Serve with some fresh sourdough bread to complete the meal.
This vegetable beef soup has been on repeat in our house. It's easy to make, filled with so many fresh vegetables and can be cooked on the stove top in about 30 minutes.
Flavored with an Italian seasoning blend of oregano, rosemary, and thyme then gently simmered in a broth made with beef stock and tomato sauces. This easy hamburger soup is a complete meal and a great recipe for those busy weeknights.
Start off by sauteing mixed vegetables, add in some extra lean ground beef, then finish it with potatoes and even more veggies. There is something for everyone in this soup.
Make a double batch and have a fresh homemade soup for lunch all week. Add this healthy soup to your next meal prep.
Are you a soup lover? Could you make soup every night of the week? So could I! Here are my other go-to soup recipes:
Creamy Chicken, Tomato and Veggie Soup
Ground Beef: This recipe calls for a lean ground beef but ground turkey can also be used in its place.
Yukon Potatoes: The best potatoes to use in their soup are Yukon gold potatoes. Baby red potatoes can also be used or even a can or two of kidney beans.
Beef Broth: Use a good quality beef stock. My personal favorite is Better than Bouillon. Just add to hot water, mix and add to the soup. The best place to get it is Costco but can also be ordered on amazon.
Full measurements in the recipe card.
Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat on the stove.
Add in olive oil and onions then sauté until soft and translucent. About 5 minutes.
Add in carrots and celery and continue to sauté until soft. About 3-4 minutes.
Add the ground beef and break it up with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Cook until it is completely browned.
Add in the diced potatoes, spices, garlic and worcheshire sauce.
Mix well so all the veggies and potatoes are coated in the seasoning. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
Slowly pour in the beef stock and stir well.
Then, dump in the canned tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes.
Mix everything well.
Increase to medium-high heat and bring to a gentle boil.
Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
In the last 5 minutes, add in the green beans and corn to allow to heat up.
The soup is done when the potatoes are soft and tender.
Serve with some sourdough bread.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
This soup freezes really well. Just keep in a freezer-safe container. Leave about 1" of head space to allow for expansion.
When you want to reheat, take the soup out the night before and thaw in the refrigerator. Then, warm on the stove in a small pot.
Slow Cooker: This soup can be easily made in a slow cooker. Just brown the ground beef on the stove then add everything in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours.
Ground Turkey: Ground turkey can be used in place of ground beef. Just substitute the beef broth for chicken broth.
Cheeseburger soup: Add some cheese and make this a cheeseburger soup.
Spicy: This soup can easily be made spicy. Use spicy Italian sausage instead of ground beef and add in some red pepper flakes.
Russet Potatoes or red potatoes: Either of these can be used in place of the Yukon gold.
Frozen Vegetables can be used in place of canned. Just add them with the stock so it has a little longer to bring to temp.
Large Dutch Oven or other soup pot: Make sure it's at least 7 quarts or bigger.
Other Soup Recipes
Did you make this recipe? If you enjoyed it, please leave a 5-🌟rating and a comment in the recipe card below.
*Let's Connect! Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest or subscribe to receive emails!
Ground Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- 2 Large Carrots diced, About 1 cup
- 3-4 Celery Stalks diced, About 1 cup
- 1.5 Pounds Ground Beef
- 3 Garlic Cloves Pressed or Minced
- 3-4 Yukon Gold Potatoes Diced In ¼-1/2" Cubes, About 2 Cups
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 14oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 14oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Can Corn Or Frozen
- 1 Can Green Beans Or Frozen
- Water If Needed. See Notes
- Start off by warming a large Dutch Oven or other soup pot over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and onions then sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Add in carrots and celery and continue to sauté until soft. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and break it up with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Cook until it is completely browned.
- Add in the diced potatoes, spices, garlic and worcheshire sauce.
- Mix well so all the veggies and potatoes are coated in the seasoning. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Slowly pour in the beef stock and stir well.
- Then, dump in the canned tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes.
- Mix everything well.
- Increase to medium-high heat and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- In the last 5 minutes, add in the green beans and corn to allow to heat up.
- The soup is done when the potatoes are soft and tender.
I used sweet tender white canned corn and only half a caN. Added extra carrots, frozen peas and stewed tomatoes. Egg noodles are great too.. soup was delicious
Kristin @ Dirt & Dough
I love the variation you did! Frozen peas is a great add in as well as the stewed tomatoes. Thank you for sharing!