This ground beef and vegetable soup is a hearty dish the whole family will love. Ground beef, fresh veggies, and kidney beans all simmered in beef and a tomato-based broth. A great weeknight soup that can be made in under 30 minutes!
This vegetable beef soup has been on repeat in our house. It's easy to make, filled with so many fresh vegetables and can be cooked on the stove top in about 30 minutes.
Flavored with an Italian seasoning blend of oregano, rosemary, and thyme then gently simmered in a broth made with beef stock and tomato sauces. This easy hamburger soup is a complete meal and a great recipe for those busy weeknights.
Start off by sauteing mixed vegetables, add in some extra lean ground beef, then finish it with even more veggies. There is something for everyone in this soup.
Make a double batch and have a fresh homemade soup for lunch all week. Add this healthy soup to your next meal prep.
Are you a soup lover? Could you make soup every night of the week? So could I! Here are my other go-to soup recipes: Crockpot White Chicken Chili, Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup, Beef Taco Soup or a comforting pot of Pacific Razor Clam Chowder
Ground Beef: This recipe calls for a lean ground beef but ground turkey can also be used in its place.
Kidney Beans: If you do not want to use beans diced up potatoes are also a great option. Just let them simmer until they are soft.
Beef Broth: Use a good quality beef stock. My personal favorite is Better than Bouillon. Just add to hot water, mix and add to the soup. The best place to get it is Costco but can also be ordered on amazon.
Water: This ground beef vegetable soup is on the thicker side. Just add in more water or more broth to reach your desired consistency.
See full information on ingredients and quantities in the recipe card.
🥘How to Make
Step 1: Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat on the stove.
Step 2: Add in olive oil and onions then sauté until soft and translucent. About 5 minutes. (Image 1).
💡Pro Tip: If you want to most flavor out of your veggies add the salt in while the veggies are simmering. This will add so much depth of flavor to your final soup.
Step 3: Add in carrots and celery and continue to sauté until soft. About 3-4 minutes. (Image 2).
Step 4: Add the ground beef and break it up with a spatula or wooden spoon. Cook until it is completely browned. (Image 3).
Step 5: Add in the spices, garlic and worcheshire sauce.
Mix well so all the veggies and meat are coated in the seasoning. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
Step 6: Slowly pour in the beef stock and stir well.
Step 7: Then, dump in the canned tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, and green beans. (Image 4).
Optional: Add more water if you like a thinner soup.
Step 8: Increase to medium-high heat and bring to a gentle boil.
Step 9: Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
The soup is done when the corn and green beans are cooked.
Serve with some sourdough bread.
Soup tastes bland when everything is just dumped together and not seasoned properly. Make sure to incorporate ingredients as directed, add more salt, add more seasoning and use a good quality beef stock.
Soups have the best flavor when they are cooked slowly and ingredients added at different times to help develop different layers of flavor. To get the most out of your vegetables add the salt in while the veggies are sautéing.
This soup freezes really well! Just make sure it is completely cool then store in a freezer safe container.
🍲Other Soup Recipes
Ground Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion - Diced
- 2 Large Carrots - diced, About 1 cup
- 3-4 Celery Stalks - diced, About 1 cup
- 1.5 Pounds Ground Beef
- 3 Garlic Cloves - Pressed or Minced
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 14oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 14oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 14oz Can Kidney Beans
- 1 Can Corn - Or Frozen
- 1 Can Green Beans - Or Frozen
- Water - If Needed. See Notes
- Start off by warming a large Dutch Oven or other soup pot over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and onions then sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Add in carrots and celery and continue to sauté until soft. About 3-4 minutes. Pro Tip: If you want to most flavor out of your veggies add the salt in while the veggies are simmering. This will add so much depth of flavor to your final soup.
- Add the ground beef and break it up with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Cook until it is completely browned.
- Add in the spices, garlic and worcheshire sauce.
- Mix well so all the veggies and meat are coated in the seasoning. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Slowly pour in the beef stock and stir well.
- Then, dump in the canned tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, corn, green beans, and kidney beans. Mix everything well.
- Optional: Add more water if you like a thinner soup.
- Increase to medium-high heat and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with some fresh bread!