This beef taco soup is a quick 30 minute dinner that is full of those taco flavors! Ground beef sautéed with onions, peppers and taco seasoning. Then topped with sour cream, cheese and fresh cilantro. Need a quick weeknight dinner? This is it!
If there are two things I could make every single night for dinner it's a good pot of soup or a taco. So why not both?
This easy beef taco soup recipe is really simple to make and is full of those classic taco flavors.
Finish it off with some fresh lime juice and cilantro to really bring it to life, then top with cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips, avocado, and some hot sauce.
Lime: If possible, do not skip the fresh lime juice. This really helps bring out the flavors of the soup and adds a hit of freshness to it. Try to stay away from the preserved stuff. A fresh lime will have so much more flavor.
Ground Beef: This is the preferred meat but a ground turkey or chicken would also go well with this meal. I'd suggest switching out the beef broth for a chicken broth if using ground turkey or chicken.
Topping Ideas: Tomatoes, olives, sour cream, jalapeños, cheese, avocado, or fresh cilantro.
See full information on ingredients and quantities in the recipe card.
🥘How to Make
Step 1: Start off by warming up a large dutch oven over medium heat.
Step 2: Add olive oil and allow to warm up a bit.
Step 3: Add diced onions and sauté until they are soft and translucent. About 5 minutes.
Step 4: Then add the diced bell pepper and continue to cook for another 3 minutes, or until the peppers are soft. (Image 1).
Step 5: Place the ground beef in the pot and break it up with a wood spoon. Cook until it is completely browned and broken up into pieces. (Image 2).
Step 6: Add in the minced garlic and cook for 30 second.
Step 7: Then, add all the spices, salt and pepper, stirring until everything is completely coated.
Step 8: Add in the broth, tomato sauce, black beans, frozen corn and fresh lime juice.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a slight simmer. (Image 3).
Cook for about 10 minutes. Stirring often.
🍽Ways to Serve
Serve warm with your favorite taco toppings. Here are some ideas:
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cheese (cheddar or pepper jack)
- Tortilla Chips
- Fresh Tomatoes
Taco soup and chili often have a lot of the same flavors but chili is typically simmered for a longer time and will be a thicker consistency than taco soup.
Taco soup can be served with sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese and tortilla chips or strips.
When stored in an airtight container, taco soup will last up to a week in the refrigerator.
🍲Other Soup Recipes
Beef Taco Soup
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion - Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper - Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic - Minced or Pressed
- 1.5 Pounds Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pinch Cayenne
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 14oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 14oz Can Black Beans - Drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn - Or 1 can
- 1 Lime - Freshly squeezed
- Fresh Cilantro - Chopped
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Diced Jalapenos
- Hot Sauce
- Tortilla Chips or Strips
- Start off by warming up a large dutch oven, or other soup pot, over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and allow to warm up a bit.
- Add diced onions and sauté until they are soft and translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Then add the diced bell pepper and continue to cook for another 3 minutes, or until the peppers are soft.
- Place the ground beef in the pot and break it up with a wood spoon.
- Cook until it is completely browned and broken up into pieces. There should be no pink left.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for 30 second.
- Then, add all the spices, salt and pepper, stirring until everything is completely coated.
- Add in the broth, tomato sauce, black beans, frozen corn, and fresh lime juice.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a slight simmer.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve warm with some fresh cilantro, cheese, sour cream, avocado or your other favorite taco toppings.