Switch up Taco Tuesday with these Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos! They pack a flavorful punch, are a healthier alternative and will make you not even miss the meat.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Tacos are a staple in our house because of their versatility and ability to be made in so many different way. Some of our favorites have to be carne asada and shredded chicken tacos. However, sometimes those can take a little bit of time to prepare. Having to cut, marinade, shred and cook meat can be a process. And there are some nights I just don’t have time for that.
Want a taco recipe that is super quick, healthy and still provides that satisfaction of eating a taco? This is it! Sweet potato and black bean tacos is the answer.
This recipe is quickly becoming one of my favorite go to meals when my husband is on shift. It’s on the table in less than 30 minutes and my kids devour them. Even my pickiest eater. Why? Because, if dinner is served in some kind of taco form, I don’t think they really care what is inside.
Need more ways to make tacos? Check out my other Taco Recipes.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
Step 1: Prepare Onions, Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans
Prepare the sweet potatoes by dicing into small cubes. I like to cut mine in about 1/2″ size. This helps them cook a little faster.
Prepare black beans by draining and rinsing them.
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add 2 table spoons of olive oil.
I love my 15″ Lodge Cast Iron. It can handle just about any size meal I make. I could multiply this recipe by three for a crowd and it would still cook with ease.
Sautee the diced onion until soft and translucent.
Add in Sweet Potatoes and cook until they start to soften. You should be able to pierce them easily with a fork.
Add in all the seasonings and 3/4 cups of water. Allow to simmer until all the water has reduced down and completely absorbed into the potatoes.
Once the water has rendered down, add in the black beans and corn and squeeze juice from one fresh lime. Mix everything together and bring back to temp.
Assemble Your Tacos
Serve with sour cream, fresh cilantro, monterey jack cheese, tomatoes, avocados or any of your other favorite taco toppings.
And thats it! A healthy taco dinner is on the table in 30 minutes. I can’t express how much I love this version of tacos. Every time we have them I’m so surprised how much we all love them. Last time I warmed them up for lunch, my husband even asked “what meat do you use again?”
I would love to see if you give this recipe a try! Tag me on your instagram posts @dirt.dough or share a comment below.
Other Taco Recipes:
Shop This Post
Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes Diced in 1/2" cubes. About 2 large sweet Potatoes.
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced or Pressed
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Pinch of Cayenne More if you want more spice
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 15oz Can Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 1 15.25oz Can of Corn Could also use 1 cup of Frozen
- Juice of one Lime
- Sour Cream
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to pan.
- Add diced onion and sauté until soft and translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potatoes, sprinkle with some salt, and cook until they are soft. About 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and allow to cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in all seasonings and water and bring to a simmer, reduce heat and allow all the water to reduce down and absorb into the potatoes. About 5 minutes
- Add in black beans and corn, then squeeze juice from one lime and mix everything together. Bring back to temp.
- Serve warm in a tortilla shell with your favorite taco toppings.