These Sourdough Banana Oat Muffins are made with a sourdough starter, very ripe bananas, rolled oats and chocolate chips. Perfect for a quick breakfast.
I started my sourdough journey almost a year ago (make your own sourdough starter) and with the COVID-19 quarantine I am more than ever looking for ways to use my starter in different recipes.
We love bananas in our house. Like, LOVE bananas. My kids go through them faster then I can buy them. Some of the ways I like to use them is in muffins, breads, smoothies and even cookies (if my kids don’t eat them before they are ripe enough). While wanting to still use my starter during this time, but also not wanting to run out of my stock of flour in the first week making bread, I decided to make some muffins with it.
These were very quick and easy and by mid day almost all gone. Sourdough starters are so great for any type of baked goods. It just gave these muffins an extra spongy light texture. You could also add chopped up walnuts for a healthier kick, but for my kids I decided to go with chocolate chips. The best part is I did not use any butter or sugar.
I have spent the last year researching all things sourdough and have experimented with multiple bread recipes. Now that I have a strong understanding of how to properly care for my starter ( Monica ) and make outstanding bread I am now looking forward to experimenting with and finding different ways to utilize my starter.
Tips for making these sourdough banana oat muffins:
- Use very ripe bananas, this makes it much easier to mash.
- Use a fed starter that has had time to rise. I fed mine the night before.
- If you would like a slightly healthier version I would substitute the chocolate chips for chopped walnuts.
- I used small-medium sized banana for the recipe. If you have a larger size only use two.
Tools you may need
Non-stick 12-cup Cupcake Pan
Other Breakfast Recipes
Make your own Bread with my Easy Overnight Sourdough Bread Recipe
Sourdough Banana Oat Muffins
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Recently Fed Sourdough Starter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Very Ripe Bananas
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and
- Grease a 12 muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sourdough starter, salt, baking power and baking soda and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Then add in the egg, honey, vanilla extract and combine with a hand mixer.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin about 3/4 full and bake on the center rack for 18-20 min until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cook on wire rack.
Other Sourdough Recipes
- Sourdough Starter Breakfast Bites
- Easy Overnight Sourdough Bread
- Easy Sourdough Pancakes Made From a Starter Discard