Take your homemade pizzas up a notch with this homemade pizza sauce. Takes very little time, minimal effort, and is full of fresh ingredients. You will not reach for store bought again.
If there is one thing that can make homemade pizza even better it's fresh pizza sauce from all those garden tomatoes!
If your taking the time to mix, rise and roll out dough why not top it with a fresh and flavor packed sauce.
Picking the Right Tomato
When selecting tomatoes for your pizza sauce make sure it's a meatier tomato such as a roma or another paste variety. You want less water and seeds and more of the meat of the tomato. If there is too much liquid your sauce will be too runny. Of course you really could use any tomato to make sauce, but the consistency will be dependent on the variety of tomato you choose.
I went with a roma variety for this particular sauce because it's what I had an abundance of in the garden. I think I could have eaten it by the spoonfuls and found myself dipping cheese directly into it.
How to Make
Three simple steps to make this homemade pizza sauce.
1. Chop all the tomatoes, onions and mince the garlic.
2. Cook all the ingredients until tomatoes break down and are soft.
3. Blend to desired consistency.
It is really that simple and only took me about 15 min to make. I ended up with enough to fill two pint-sized mason jars. One we used right away for our pizza night and the other I froze for a future dinner. If freezing make sure you leave some headspace to allow for expanding. About an inch should be sufficient.
My blender of choice is my BlendTec Designer 650 with a Wildside Jar. I have had it for almost 3 years now and I use it every day, sometimes twice. It brought this sauce to the perfect consistency with very little time.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 6 Cups Roma Tomatos diced in 2" cubes Or other meaty variety
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion diced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Freshly cracked pepper To taste
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ Cup Loosely Packed Fresh Basil Leaves
- Heat olive oil in medium sized sauce pan.
- Add onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes and cook over medium heat until the tomatoes start to break down and are soft. About 5 min.
- Add in basil and cook for a few more minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer to a blender, food processor or use an immersion blender until desired consistency.
- Allow to cool completely in the refrigerator before using. This will allow it to thicken.
- Store in an air tight container in the refiregerator for a week.