Quick and easy taco rice bowl. Have dinner on the table in 30 min. Filled with veggies, taco meat and rice. Forget the shell and dive right in.
Quarantine cooking has kicked in and we are starting to branch out trying new things with what we have on hand. I am limiting my trips to the store and if I do have to go I try and order a curbside pickup. Even if that means I preorder 5 days out. So this skillet recipe was put together with just stuff we had on hand the first time and it was requested again this week.
Tacos are one of our favorite meals. Everyone in the house loves tacos, I mean who doesn’t, and I am confident that dinner won’t be a fight on taco night. One of our other favorites is anything in a rice bowl. We love rice bowls. This dish is both those things combined. It has all the taco flavors, is served in a bowl and is so quick and easy to make! We have a large bag of basmati rice so that is what I used and we really liked it, but you could really use any type of rice with this.
My kids are very sensitive to spice (they get it from me), so this is not a spicy dish at all. If you want to add a kick, add in some cayenne to your spice mix and top with hot sauce or a spicy salsa. It’s super simple, so lets get started.
How to Make Taco Rice Bowl
Prepare and cook the rice.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and add the onions. Cook until soft and translucent.
While the onions are cooking, I like to prepare my spices. I measure everything out in a prep bowl so when its time to add I just dump them in.
Add in the ground meat and red peppers then cook until meat is browned and peppers are soft.
Add in garlic for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add in corn, black beans, enchilada sauce and all the spices. Stir and bring to temp.
Add in rice, cilantro and lime and cook for a few minutes bringing the entire dish to temp.
Serve in a bowl, taco shell, or lettuce wrap with cheese, sour cream and all your other favorite taco must haves.
Other Taco Recipes:
Taco Rice Bowl
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 1 lb Ground Meat
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne - Optional
- 1 15oz Can of Corn, Drained
- 1 15oz Can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10oz Can of enchilada sauce
- 3 Cups Cooked rice
- ¼ Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Prepare and cook rice.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and add the onions. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Add in ground meat and red peppers and cook until meat is browned and peppers done.
- Add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant
- Add in corn, black beans, enchilada sauce, lime juice and all the spices. Stir and bring to temp.
- Add in rice and cilantro and bring to temp.
- Serve warm in a bowl with desired toppings, or wrap up in a taco shell.