Roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese is the perfect side dish that is both elegant and simple. Tossed in olive oil, then sprinkled with salt, pepper, and parmesan finally finished off with some fresh lemon to brighten all the flavors.
Asparagus is one of my favorite produce items to add as a side dish. They are super easy to prepare, and cook, and don't require a lot of fancy techniques, time, or ingredients. Asparagus can really stand on its own and can accompany just about any protein.
There is no need to peel asparagus making it even easier to cook with. Just a simple wash and snapping off the woody ends of the asparagus and it's ready to roast or add to a dish.
My favorite way to cook asparagus is this roasted asparagus with parmesan. It takes very little time and we get tender asparagus every single time.
This baked asparagus recipe is a simple way to add more fresh produce to your meal.
⭐️Reasons to Love this Dish
There are lots of things to love about this roasted asparagus dish:
- Quick and simple to make
- Little equipment
- Easy clean up
- Soft, tender asparagus
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Goes great with all kinds of protein
Asparagus: How to pick the right asparagus for roasting? When roasting asparagus it is better to have stalks that are on the thicker side. The thinner, smaller stalks will roast super fast and will dry out and get stringy.
Lemon Juice: This is optional but it really does help brighten the flavors of the asparagus and makes a big difference. I would not skip.
See full information on ingredients and quantities in the recipe card.
🔪 How to Make
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Take out a rimmed baking sheet or any other large flat baking pan, and line it with aluminum foil. Set aside. No need for cooking spray as the olive oil will keep it from sticking.
Step 3: Prepare the asparagus by rinsing it under water and laying it out on paper towels to completely dry. (Image 1).
💡Pro Tip: Make sure to completely dry. Any water will prevent the oil from adhering properly to the asparagus.
Step 4: Break off the woody stems by holding the asparagus stalks by the bottom with one hand and a few inches away with the other. Apply pressure and break the asparagus apart. It should naturally break away at the location that needs to be cut off. (Images 2 & 3).
Step 5: Place asparagus in a single layer on the baking sheet. (Image 4).
Step 6: Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil all over the asparagus. (Image 5).
Step 7: Sprinkle salt and black pepper all over. (Image 6). Toss to evenly coat the asparagus.
Step 8: Spread parmesan cheese over all the asparagus. (Image 7).
Step 9: Place the baking dish or pan in the preheated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes. The exact time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus. Thinner asparagus will take 12-15 whereas thicker stalks will take 15-20.
Step 10: Remove from oven and transfer to a plate. Squeeze fresh lemon all over. Serve and enjoy!
About 10-20 minutes. Cooking time will vary slightly depending on the size of the asparagus you choose. Thicker asparagus will take about 20 minutes at 350 whereas thin asparagus spears might only 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees
If your asparagus turns out soggy there is a good chance too much oil was used or it was cooked too long. The longer asparagus cooks the softer it will become.
Asparagus can be cooked in lots of different ways. Frying, blanching, and sauteeing but one of the easiest ways is to roast it in the oven or air fryer.
🍽Other Side Dishes
Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan
- 1 pound Fresh Asparagus - Washed and ends trimmed. See Instructions
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese - Freshly grated or in flakes.
- 1 Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Prepare the asparagus by rinsing under water and laying it out on paper towels to completely dry.
- Break off the woody stems by holding the asparagus stalks by the bottom with one hand and a few inches away with the other. Apply pressure and break the asparagus apart. It should naturally breakaway at the location that needs to be cut off.
- Place asparagus in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil all over the asparagus.
- Srinkle salt and black pepper all over.
- Toss to evenly coat the asparagus.
- Spread parmesan cheese over all the asparagus.
- Place the baking dish or pan in the preheated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes. Asparagus is done when it can be pierce with a fork.
- Remove from oven, transfer to a plate, squeeze fresh lemon juice all over and enjoy.