These Zucchini Tuna Melts are a lightened up version of the classic sandwich. Hollowed out zucchini makes the perfect vessel for this tuna spread and then is topped with tomato slices and finished with a parmesan bread crumb. A great way to use those garden zucchinis or to change up a basic can of tuna.
Why Zucchini for a Tuna Melt?
If there is one thing we eat a lot of in our family (more than sourdough) is tuna. And yes a fresh loaf of sourdough makes the perfect tuna melt but sometimes you just want to change things up.
If you want the classic sourdough and would like to learn how to make it yourself, check out my sourdough tutorials.
These Zucchini Tuna Melts have been a big hit this summer. With zucchini growing wild in the garden, and plenty of tuna on hand, this combo makes the perfect lunch.
How they are Made
1. Prepare Baking Sheet
Take a baking sheet and line with tin foil. Then place a cooling rack and place on the baking sheet. This will keep the zucchini from getting soggy on the bottom.
2. Hollow Out the Zucchini
Scrape out the insides of the zucchini with a 1/4 teaspoon. I have found the 1/4 just works the best and the larger sizes tend to break the sides of the zucchini. It’s just like carving out a pumpkin.
I tend to select a little larger zucchinis so there is plenty of room to stuff in the tuna.
Once you hollow it out, coat in olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
3. Prepare the Tuna and Fill in the Zucchini
Mix all the ingredients for the tuna spread together and spoon into the zucchini. Then take the tomato slices and place on top.
4. Mix all the Bread Crumb ingredients and Cover Each Zucchini
Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-15 min. The zucchini should be tender and the parmesan bread crumb crispy.
Other Zucchini Inspired Recipes:
Zucchini Tuna Melts
- 2 Medium Size Zucchini or 3-4 smaller ones
- Olive Oil For coating
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 oz Albacore Tuna
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Clove Garlic Finely Minced
- 1/4 Cup Diced Kosher Pickle About one good size spear
- 1 Stalk Diced Celery Diced
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 Roma Tomato Thinly Sliced
- 1/3 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley Chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare baking sheet by lining with tin foil and placing a cooling rack on top.
- Cut of the stem of the zucchini and slice lengthwise.
- Using a 1/4 teaspoon scrape out the insides of the zucchini.
- Coat the Zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the cooling racks.
- Prepare the tuna by mixing all the ingredients together and with a spoon fill the insides of the zucchini.
- Take the sliced tomatoes and place on top.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs by mixing everything together and then place on top of the zucchini melts.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and bread crumbs are crispy.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- Dutch Oven Potatoes
- Lemon Garlic Aioli
- Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage, Potatoes and Eggs
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Loaded Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Blueberry Lemon Scones Homemade from Scratch