Hearty homemade chicken noodle soup full of carrots, celery, shredded chicken and bone broth. Perfect way to warm up after a cold day.
There is nothing more comforting when your sick or stuck at home on a rainy day than some homemade chicken noodle soup. Below is my go to recipe. The secret to the best tasting chicken noodle soup is in the broth. I have been making homemade bone broth for years now (Post coming soon) and no other broth out there can compete with the deep rich flavor that comes from making your own.. Anytime I make broth this soup is on the menu. If I don’t have bone broth on hand my next choice would be stock made with a better than bouillon paste. The broth is so important because thats what is going to give your soup the most flavor.
Here is what to do:
I start with an empty dutch oven and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and bring to temp over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the warm pot.
Brown on both sides and cook until the chicken has reached an internal temp of 165 degrees.
Remove and rest the chicken for about five minutes before shredding.
Add two tablespoons of butter to the empty pot. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. Deglaze the pan with a wooden spoon scrapping off the bits of chicken. This will add so much flavor to your soup.
Add in the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent.
Add in carrots and celery and cook until soft. My family likes them about halfway cooked so they still have a little crunch to them. My kids do not like soft veggies. So cook them to your desired texture.
Add in the garlic until fragrant. Then add in shredded chicken, broth and all the spices and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and add in egg noodles and simmer until cooked. It’s important to watch the noodles carefully as they do not take long to cook. Remove from heat and serve warm with a fresh slice of bread.
Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 2 Large Carrots peeled and diced
- 4 Celery Stalks Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 8 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 12 oz Egg Noodles
- Take your chicken breasts and with a mallet flatten to about an inch thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat and add chicken. Cook one side for about 5 min and flip to the other cooking until it comes to temp of 165 degrees.
- Remove from dutch oven and allow to cool for 5 min before shredding.
- While chicken is cooling add the butter to the now empty pot and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon as the butter melts.
- Once butter is melted add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes until they soften and become translucent.
- Add in the carrots and celery and cook until they have softened. About 5-7 min.
- Add in the garlic for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken stock, shredded chicken and remaining spices and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce to low heat and add in the egg noodles and simmer until the noodles are done. They do not take long to cook so watch carefully.
- Serve warm with a fresh slice of bread.