Quick and easy homemade enchilada sauce. Spice up any enchilada dish with this homemade version made with avocado oil, flour, spices, chicken broth, and tomato paste. Once you make your own, I guarantee you will never want to buy store-bought again.
If there is one thing I love to do in the kitchen, it's learning how to make things from scratch. Not only does it save money but it's also a lot healthier for us.
Enchilada sauce is one of those things that is super quick and easy to put together and once you try it, you will wonder why you bought canned sauce in the first place.
The texture and flavors are unmatched and you can really control the salt content as well as how spicy you want it to be.
It also freezes well so I like to make big batches of it and store it in freezer-safe containers for quick dinners. (Make sure to allow enough headspace in your jar so it can expand while freezing.)
How to Make Enchilada Sauce
Start off with a small saucepan over medium heat.
Add avocado oil and bring to temp. Sprinkle a little bit of the flour and once it sizzles you're ready to add the rest.
Add in flour and allow to bubble and brown a bit. About 2-3 minutes.
Add in all the spices and cook for another minute stiring frequently.
Add in the 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and whisk until fully incorporated.
Slowly pour in the chicken broth while whisking until smooth.
Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
If the enchilada sauce is too thick, slowly add in water until your desired consistency is achieved.
Now it's time to add to any of your favorite enchilada recipes to elevate your dish. You can also use this sauce on my breakfast enchiladas which compliments this dish perfectly.
Shop this Post
I use the 16 oz ball canning jars to store and freeze my sauce. It fits about two cups. Just make sure you leave at least an inch from the top to allow for expansion. Ball Mason Jar Pint Wide Mouth Clear Glass W/Lids and Bands, 16-Ounces (Set of 4)
Other Sauces to Enhance your Dishes:
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Avocado Oil Can substitute with Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- Warm a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add in avocado oil and bring to temp.
- Once oil is hot, add in flour and whisk to incorporate. Allow to bubble and brown for a few minutes while whisking frequently.
- Add in all the spices and simmer for another minute.
- Mix in tomato paste until smooth.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth whisking constantly to incorporate.
- Bring to a boil and reduce down to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Add to any enchilada dish or store for later.